Thursday, March 13, 2008

Red & Yellow, Black & White

I've been in my masters program for almost a year now, and part of completing my degree is taking an ethnic diversity class. The first thing that came to my mind during class today was the old song "red & yellow black & white”. One of my friends was talking to me about how she was talking with her mom about the attempts from churches to address the race issues. I can’t imagine how much pain racism and prejudice has brought to people. People have been slaughtered, abused, tormented, and just treated horrifically and for what? Any time I begin to think of why people feel the need to segregate or huddle together in comfortable groups, I can’t help but ask why. Why? What is the benefit of giving one group a privilege over another? I can’t quite figure it out other than to say that humanity is flawed. Everyone of us has the capacity to do bad things, and yet we all have the capacity to do such great things. I believe we’ve come into an era where people are doing more and more great things for one another and I can’t wait to look back twenty years from now and say “I can’t believe how good we have learned to be toward one another.” It takes acts of humility and self sacrifice, and as we seek opportunities to be enlightened I believe transcendent truth will be given to us.

1 comment:

Ryan Paulson said...

There is a great Seinfeld episode about the black and white cookie - unity is found in the cookie. Black and white frosting on the same cookie! I think it really captures it all!